A leading IT strategy and consulting firm reduces time-to-market and overall maintenance costs by 50% or more, by consolidating onto a single codebase with Ionic.
How the Jnesis team cut their development time in half by choosing a cross-platform solution with Ionic, backed by enterprise software and services.
Jnesis is an IT strategy and consulting firm that provides advisory, training, and outsourced development services to its customers in Europe and the United States.
Specializing in web development, the team at Jnesis delivers custom mobile, desktop, and web applications for their clients across a range of industries, from healthcare to manufacturing, logistics, and real estate.
A major real estate client, Axone, engaged Jnesis on a project to enable home automation in the short term for up to 500 apartments a year in the Greater Paris Area, France. The project involved custom development of a mobile application that would allow residents to control aspects of their living space directly from a mobile device, including room temperature, blinds, and lighting. The app would also allow residents to interact directly with an automated assistant, via mobile chat interface.
Axone’s project timeline required that a working version of the app be available within six months. The app needed to deliver the core functionality described above, and meet very strict security requirements.
The team at Jnesis chose to build the mobile application for Axone on Ionic, after considering native development along with other cross-platform alternatives.
Compared to other solutions, Ionic offered:
- Advanced UI components and modern styling for a better user experience
- Ability to deploy on mobile iOS and Android, including full access to native device features and functionality
- Access to mobile CI/CD features, including automated native app builds and live updating of applications
In addition to building with the open source Ionic Framework, Jnesis chose to become an Ionic Enterprise customer, in order to gain access to Ionic’s Support & Advisory resources throughout the project.
"Time to market was very important for this project. With Ionic we can build a custom mobile app very quickly, push it to the stores, and deliver updates to our users whenever we need to.”
"Time to market was very important for this project. With Ionic we can build a custom mobile app very quickly, push it to the stores, and deliver updates to our users whenever we need to.”Vladimir Bueb, Chief Technology Officer, Jnesis
Key Benefits of Ionic Enterprise
- Accelerated time to market. In just six months, two Jnesis developers were able to deliver a fully operational version of the home automation mobile app, adopted by over 250 Axone customers in 2019. The team estimates that building the app using native SDKs would have taken as many as 12 months to deliver the same level of functionality across platforms, a 2x time to market advantage.
- Reduced maintenance costs. By choosing Ionic, Jnesis was able to develop the Axone mobile app once and deploy it across iOS and Android, all from the same codebase. Compared to building with native toolsets and maintaining multiple codebases in parallel, the team’s choice of Ionic has resulted in reduced maintenance costs and accelerated delivery of new features.
- Continuous delivery of new versions & updates. Using the Deploy and Package services available in Ionic Appflow, a cloud-hosted DevOps platform, Jnesis was able to automate their native build process and deliver real time updates directly to their users.
- Great user experience. Ionic’s modern UI components helped deliver a great experience for Axone users, while being fully customized to match the Axone brand. The Jnesis team also developed their own custom UI components to deliver a conversational interface, enabling on-demand concierge access for Axone residents.
- Access to Ionic experts. Throughout the development project, Jnesis development team members and executive leadership benefited from having direct Slack access to Ionic engineers. Jnesis developers used a shared Slack channel with Ionic to routinely ask questions, share design ideas, and pose questions to the Ionic team. Having access to Ionic’s engineering team helped to reduce risk and avoid technical debt, while maintaining a strict delivery timeline.