Ionic 2021 Year in Review
2021 was a huge year for Ionic, both the company and the community. Ionic’s business saw significant growth, now counting over 300+ enterprise customers and many thousands of community customers, all powering their app development with Ionic’s enterprise-grade app development platform.
This year also saw significant investment in the open source technologies underpinning Ionic’s platform, with many major releases across the Ionic stack.
With that, let’s take a look at what the team shipped in 2021!
This year, we:
- Launched Capacitor 3 to turn more web developers into mobile developers by enabling them to build apps with their favorite web stack
- Launched Ionic Portals to help native teams scale their mobile projects by more easily embedding quality web experiences
- Launched Ionic 6 with tons of new components and design updates for beautiful cross-platform apps with Angular, React, and Vue
- Added new Overlay Hooks for Ionic React to make it easier to interact with overlay controls
- Rolled out a new Configuration API and Tool for Capacitor to make it easy to automate configuration of your app. For example, auto-incrementing build numbers in Appflow
- Shipped multiple new versions of Stencil fixing tons of bugs and adding major features like Sourcemaps and a revamped Custom Elements output target, and announced a new path forward for the project.
- Launched an official Ionic Discord server to bring realtime chat to the Ionic and Capacitor communities
- Added a powerful new CLI tool to Ionic Appflow to enable integrating popular enterprise CI/CD platforms such as Azure DevOps, Jenkins, and GitLab with Appflow’s Mobile CI/CD features
- After service closures on Microsoft App Center, we helped teams migrate to Appflow for Mobile CI/CD and live app updates
- Hosted a huge Ioniconf 2021, our yearly community conference
- Put on a successful Enterprise App Summit, Ionic’s yearly enterprise-focused conference
- Added Zebra DataWedge support for enterprises building apps that integrate with Zebra scanners and mobile devices
- Released Microsoft Intune support for integration with the Intune App SDK and the Microsoft Authentication Library (MSAL) for powerful auth flows and security compliance
- Introduced Ionic Payments with support for Apple Pay and Google Pay for easy payment experiences
- Shipped Identity Vault 5.0, Ionic’s powerful biometric authentication and client-side data security solution for secure enterprise apps
- Brought new React bindings to Auth Connect, Ionic’s popular SSO and authentication integration, to make the easiest auth integration you’ve ever used even easier
- Released Ionic Secure Storage, our SQLite data storage engine with encryption support for high-performance, secure data storage
- Rolled out all new documentation for Ionic’s enterprise solutions
- Shipped a new News Feed with all of these updates and a whole bunch of smaller ones we made that I didn’t include!
With that, we’re going to catch our breath and get some much deserved rest after a massive year. We look forward to joining you back in ‘22 with another year of big updates across the Ionic stack.